Last updated: October 17, 2017
We want you to love using Umbrella. We have created this Happiness Pledge, which you can read below in full, to ensure that your experience is as positive as possible. If for some reason something goes wrong, we will follow the terms outlined below to make it right.
What is the “Umbrella Happiness Pledge”?
As stated in our Terms of Service, Umbrella is a technology platform that allows Users to connect with each other so they can be their most productive selves. Handypersons determine what categories they are qualified to task in, and scope the task directly with their Client. Clients are advised to confirm with their Handyperson that their Handyperson is qualified to perform the task prior to the task taking place. Umbrella does not direct how a Handyperson performs a task, does not monitor tasks or chat threads between Users, and does not otherwise oversee or assume responsibility for the actions of Handypersons. Umbrella is not liable for the acts or omissions of Users, nor does Umbrella provide insurance against any losses sustained by Users. That said, because we want you to be happy about your Umbrella experience, we choose to offer this Happiness Pledge, on the terms set forth below.
If Users fail to resolve an issue between themselves, and subject to the terms, exclusions and limitations set forth in this Umbrella Happiness Pledge, Umbrella will pay as follows:
1. Clients up to USD Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000) per occurrence for Losses arising from Property Damage as a direct result of Negligence of a Handyperson during performance of a Task;
2. Users up to USD Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000) for Bodily Injury sustained by a User who did not cause the injury, as a direct result of Negligence by another User during the performance of a Task;
3. Clients up to USD Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000) per occurrence for Losses arising from Theft of a User’s property by a Handyperson during performance of a task.
Terms and Conditions: The Umbrella Happiness Pledge is applicable for every task (other than with respect to the exclusions listed below), subject to the following terms and conditions:
* You must submit a resolution request via email@example.com, within fourteen (14) days of the occurrence of the task giving rise to the Happiness Pledge Claim;
* Before submitting a Umbrella Resolution Request Form, you must first make a good faith attempt to resolve the Happiness Pledge Claim directly with the User involved;
* The task between a Client and a Handyperson is performed on the Umbrella Platform by the hired Handyperson and paid for in full through Braintree Payment System (via the Umbrella Platform);
* The Task does not violate our Terms of Service (https://www.askumbrella.com/terms);
* You have not submitted a separate Happiness Pledge Claim within ninety (90) days prior to the occurrence of the task giving rise to the Claim;
* The task did not originally require a licensed professional to complete, including but not limited to plumbers, electricians, medical professionals, attorneys, notaries public, licensed general contractors, exterminators, etc.; and
* Your Umbrella account is in good standing, with no outstanding or pending balances owed to Umbrella Inc or Handypersons.
What is excluded from the Umbrella Happiness Pledge?
The Umbrella Happiness Pledge does not cover losses or damages to property or bodily injury arising from or in any way related to any of the following (the “Excluded Losses”):
* Tasks performed by Licensed Handypersons (please see below under “Licensed Professionals”);
* losses arising from operation of any motor vehicle, aircraft or watercraft by a Handyperson;
* losses arising out of any intellectual property claim;
* losses arising out of interruption of business, loss of market, loss of income and/or loss of use, unemployment compensation, losses associated with the unauthorized access to Electronic Data or consequential damages, special damages;
* losses for property damage exceeding the original value or replacement value (whichever is the lesser) for such property, less any standard depreciation;
* Ineligible Property;
* Client losses arising from Negligence of a Client or third party;
* losses arising from a manufacturer’s or a product’s defects, or from pre-existing damages or conditions of the item or property, normal wear and tear or deterioration;
* losses arising from items supplied by the Client or due to Client recommendations (i.e. if a manufacturer recommends affixing furniture to a wall and a Client declines to have furniture affixed; Client directs Handyperson to perform task in a manner that causes damages);
* losses that are a normal part of or natural result of the task undertaken;
* losses arising from intentional acts, including but not limited to: (i) Assault and Battery, (ii) Sexual Abuse or Molestation, (iii) identity theft or fraud;
* losses directly or indirectly arising out of flooding, water damage or relating to mildew, mold, fungi, spores or other bacteria or microorganisms of any type, nature or description, including but not limited to any substance whose presence poses an actual or potential threat to human health;
* losses beyond the specific damaged area (i.e. if there is a scratch in the floor, we will pay for repairs to the scratched area only);
* losses arising from products containing hazardous or harmful materials, communicable diseases, acts of terrorism, product liability, or pollution;
* losses arising from shipping costs and/ or shipping of replacement items;
* losses arising out of acts of nature, including, but not limited to, pollution, earthquakes and weather related events such as rain, wind, etc.;
* losses of theft without a valid police report;
* losses reported more than 14 days after the task took place; and
* losses with insufficient documentation.
You understand and agree that the Umbrella Happiness Pledge is not insurance, and that no User or third party is an insured or third party beneficiary under the terms of any Umbrella insurance policy.
Umbrella has the right to subrogate against any person or entity who may be responsible for causing the losses giving rise to a Claim, including Users or any third party. By making a Claim under this Happiness Pledge you agree you will assist in and cooperate fully with any actions taken by Umbrella or its agents to subrogate a Claim.
If you carry insurance that would cover you in the event of a Claim, including but not limited to renter’s insurance, homeowner’s insurance or an umbrella policy (“Personal Insurance”), you agree to seek compensation for Losses from your Personal Insurance, prior to seeking compensation by way of the Happiness Pledge. The Happiness Pledge will only compensate for Losses to the extent not otherwise covered by your Personal Insurance. Umbrella has the right to provide a User’s contact information to an insurance company or to another User in order to facilitate a resolution of a Happiness Pledge Claim, either under the terms of this Umbrella Happiness Pledge, or because a User’s policy may apply.
How do I submit a Happiness Pledge Claim?
To submit a claim, please email firstname.lastname@example.org within fourteen (14) days of the occurrence of the task giving rise to the Happiness Pledge Claim. Payment requests are subject to the terms as noted above, so we urge you to read through these terms and conditions prior to submitting a Happiness Pledge Claim. All Happiness Pledge Claims will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
During our Happiness Pledge Claims assessment process, you agree to (i) protect and preserve any damaged property that is the basis of a Happiness Pledge Claim from further damage; (ii) assist and allow Umbrella or its insurers access to inspect and make copies, photographs and recordings of anything relating to the Happiness Pledge Claim; (iii) accept repairs by a Handyperson first; (iv) accept a replacement only if repairs are proven not to be an option; (v) submit requested materials by the dates outlined by the Resolutions Team; and (vi) accept a replacement item subject to the standard depreciation of that item.
If any part of your Happiness Pledge Claim is approved, then as a condition to any payment to you under the Umbrella Happiness Pledge, you will be required to execute and deliver to Umbrella the “Umbrella Resolutions Agreement”, which includes your agreement:
* to assign to Umbrella or its insurer any rights and remedies you may have to recover amounts paid to you with respect to an approved Happiness Pledge Claim from any party that is financially responsible for the approved Happiness Pledge Claim;
* to reasonably cooperate with us, including, at our request, appearing as a witness in any court, arbitration or like proceeding, if we seek to recover from any party the amount paid to you with respect to an approved Happiness Pledge Claim;
* to release and hold harmless Umbrella and its insurers, officers, directors, employees, contractors and agents from any further liability or obligations with respect to the facts and circumstances of the matters and incident set forth in the Happiness Pledge Claim, by signing an agreement in a form acceptable to Umbrella;
* to treat as confidential the resolution of your Happiness Pledge Claim and the contents of the Umbrella Resolutions Agreement; and
* to refund to Umbrella any amounts that Umbrella erroneously paid to you with respect to an approved Happiness Pledge Claim, in our determination and based upon factors including, but not limited to, documentation in our possession, your actions, and police reports, if applicable.
In certain cities, Clients can hire Licensed Handypersons which are explicitly identified as such on the Umbrella Platform. Licensed Handypersons carry their own insurance for the types of services they perform and acknowledge through the Umbrella Terms of Service that their insurance shall be primary for any claims arising out of services they provide to Clients on the Umbrella Platform. If you have a claim arising out of work performed by a Licensed Handypersons that you hired through the Umbrella Platform, please contact email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know. We will provide you with the contact information for the Licensed Handyperson you hired so you may reach out to him or her directly. At your request, we can also re-open the chat thread so that you can communicate through the chat-thread if you prefer.
"Bodily Injury" means physical injury, sickness or disease sustained by any person, including death resulting from any of these.
"Happiness Pledge Claim” means a dispute resulting in Property Damage, Bodily Injury or Theft which is submitted via the email@example.com, as set forth herein.
“Ineligible Property” means cash or other currency, animals, fine art (paintings, photos, pictures, textiles, sculptures or other mediums of art, antiques, precious stones or metals and similar property of rare or historical value); electronic data (data or information stored electronically or in digital format including data, information, audio, video, files, facts including materials used, stored or transmitted to / from computer programs, databases, software, systems, applications, tapes, drives, cloud storage or data processing devices); damage to common areas; and/or items of sentimental value like heirlooms or photographs (beyond the straight replacement value).
"Losses" means any losses other than Excluded Losses.
“Negligence” means a finding by Umbrella, in its sole discretion, that a Handyperson acted or failed to act in a manner which a) breached a legal duty to their Client and b) was the proximate cause of their Clients actual damages.
"Property Damage" means physical injury or damage to, or loss or destruction of, tangible property.
"Theft" means the intentional and fraudulent taking of another’s tangible personal property without permission or consent of the owner, with intent to convert it to another’s use.
“Resolutions Claim Expiration Date” means any deadline communicated by the Umbrella Support or Resolutions Teams to a User in connection with a Claim.